Thursday, March 24, 2011

hellebore

I went to the Canada Blooms garden show last weekend (thanks to my fantastic neighbour and gardening buddy Sandy, who volunteers every year and gets me a free ticket!) and bought myself a Hellebore plant(aka Lenten Rose or Christmas Rose). I have been in love with these plants for years and am so happy to finally have one. I was going to plant it outside right away, but we just had a big dump of snow (booo), so it will have to wait. Until the show melts, my new Hellebore will live in a pot by the kitchen window. Anyways, it's kind of a shame to stick such a beautiful plant in the back of the yard, when it will only be blooming when it is too cold to spend much time out there. I'm happy to have an excuse to keep it inside for a while where I can really enjoy it. I can see myself getting completely obsessed with Hellebores. There are many incredible variations.

5 comments:

  1. oh that is beautiful, and it's still a Rose! when does it bloom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - they're lovely! I wish I had gone to Canada Blooms. I always feel like it will frustrate me because I have no garden and long for one!

    I'm hoping to buy a meyer lemon tree for my apartment one of these days though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin - Its common names (Christmas or Lenten Rose) come from the fact that it blooms in late winter/early spring - during Lent. So, once I plant it outside, it should be one of the first things to bloom next year. I wish they flowered all year round!

    Jane - Honestly, if I didn't get in for free, I wouldn't bother going to Canada Blooms. It is not really worth $18. There are usually a few nice ideas in the exhibition gardens, a couple good sellers in the marketplace, and I've caught a couple of good talks, but overall it is just crowded and underwhelming and... well... tacky. When I go there I always feel like such a snob. Obviously most of the people there know far more about gardening than I do, but the aesthetic level is not very high. Jeez... I am a snob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that's beautiful, it'll flower at the most important time, when everything else seems barren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's such a beautiful flower. and so cool that it blooms in early spring. i'll have to find out if they exist in germany. i must say i like your snob-ish taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete