Monday, March 29, 2010

sprouting peas

I am growing six kinds of peas this year. Most are snow or snap peas, but one is a shelling pea (the biggest group of green ones in the picture). I pre-sprouted them this week. I started on Saturday by soaking them in jars of water for 24 hours and then wrapped them in wet paper towel and put them in a container on the radiator. I took a peek this morning and most of them had already sprouted! Luckily I found a little time to plant them outside today before the sun set. It did get set before I could cover them with netting to keep the birds and squirrels away, so it was a bit of a fiasco (to say the least) to manage that part in the dark, but I think the tangled mass of netting I covered them with should do the job for now.

2 comments:

  1. I really admire your green thumb. I hope that once I'm done with being a student I'll be as self-sufficient as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah! I wouldn't call myself self-sufficient, although maybe I will be moreso when I've gained more experience. And yeah, I can't even imagine being able to find time for this stuff when I was a student.

    ReplyDelete